Hypertension which is also known as high blood pressure is a medical situation where blood pressure in the arteries of an individual is in continuous rise. Hypertension symptoms over a long time remain a major risk factor for a lot of diseases which include vision loss, heart failure, stroke etc. However, there are ways to treat these hypertension symptoms and one of such ways is using the lisinopril drugs.
What is Lisinopril?
Lisinopril is a hypertension medication which works as an ACE inhibitor. Note that ACE in this case means angiotensin converting enzyme. Apart from lisinopril use in the treatment of high blood pressure, it can also be useful in improving survival after a heart attack. The most important thing is that lisinopril can be prescribed for a whole lot of reasons like the treatment of heart failure, reduction of high blood pressure or in the protecting the blood and heart vessels from further damage in an event of a heart attack.
How Does Lisinopril Work?
Lisinopril is an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor. What it does is to help the prevention of your body to create a hormone that is known as the angiotensin II. This prevention is achieved by blocking the angiotensin converting enzyme. As a result, your blood vessels are widened in such a way that it reduces the amount of water that is put back into the blood with the aid of the kidney. The result of this action becomes visible by the decreasing blood pressure of people that are having it higher than it should be. It is important to note that people with symptoms of high blood pressure may not really feel unwell in the real sense of it but the reality is that it has the potential to cause a lot of problems which could lead to stroke or heart attack. In some cases, it is possible for lisinopril to be used alongside some other medications to help bring the blood pressure. In addition, it has a protective action that slows down the rate at which the heart rate progresses.
Before You take Lisinopril
Like other drugs, taking lisinopril requires some extra care due to lisinopril side effects. Therefore anyone taking this drug should ensure that the doctor is aware of certain things which include the following
- If you are having problem with how your kidney is working
- If you are a woman doing breast feeding or you are pregnant.
- In a situation where you are lacking fluid in your body, people in this category will be people who have had sickness that is dehydrating like diarrhea.
- If you are suffering from peripheral arterial disease
- If you are suffering from a condition that is known to build up fatty deposits on the arteries walls, a condition that is known as atherosclerosis
- If you have a disease known as collagen vascular disease
- If you are having a heart muscle disease
- If you are undergoing a desensitization treatment that protects against wasp and bee stings
- If you always have allergic reaction or any other unusual reaction with ACE inhibitor or to even any other drug
- If you have been taking any other drug and it also include any non prescription drug like complimentary and herbal drugs
- If you are on a dialysis treatment or any other treatment which tries to remove cholesterol from your blood
- If you have in the past had a reaction that swells your face, throat or tongue.
If any of the above conditions is applicable to you, it is important to inform your doctor so as to guide you properly on the appropriate lisinopril dosage if required or to put you into an alternative treatment plan where applicable.
What is the Side Effect of Lisinopril?
There are so many side effects associated with lisinopril and one of the most common side effects of lisinopril is known to be dry cough. It is important to note that dry cough is common due to the reason that it is known to affect about one in ten patients. However, other lisinopril side effects may be uncommon and related to low blood pressure which is known as hypotension which happens especially during the beginning of treatment.
The following are common side effects of lisinopril
- Diarrhea or a stomach ache: However, this would normally improve after the first few days of the commencement of treatment.
- Drowsiness has also been reported as common side effects of lisinopril
- Unusual headache has also been reported
- There could be dizziness especially when the individual is sitting or standing up
However, it is important to note that the side effects of lisinopril are expected to clear up after a while of taking the treatment but if it doesn’t, and then it is advisable to consult your doctor immediately. Should in case lisinopril is found not to be good for you, the doctor is expected to switch to an alternative treatment for you.
Note that there are also some less common side effects of lisinopril that is known to affect just only about 1 in 1000 patients. They are fatigue, insomnia, muscle and joint pain, erectile dysfunction, skin rash, itching, blocked or runny nose and changes in taste. One lisinopril side effect that has not been confirmed is weight gain as research remains inconclusive.
Getting the Most from Treatment using Lisinopril
The reality is that treating hypertension using the lisinopril drug is effective but it must be followed rigorously to be successful. To get the best out of lisinopril during treatment, it is important you do the following.
- Confirm from your doctor if there is any problem taking alcohol during lisinopril treatment.
- Ensure you check the suitability of other drugs with lisinopril
- Follow the health and dietary advice from your doctor because some drugs are known to interfere with treatment.
Finally, treating hypertension symptoms using lisinopril is a long term process that follows a heart attack. You are expected to continue taking medication until your doctor say it is okay.